Sunday, May 20, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: Driving around curves

Yesterday, I was driving in Central Pennsylvania with my parents. We started in the old coal town of Shamokin and then went... well, I'm not exactly sure where all we went. Our navigational goal seemed to be getting lost, and we were highly efficient at achieving that goal.

My dad was in the front seat with a passel of maps, and my mom was behind us. My dad seemed to have a few of them unfolded at any given time, but it didn't seem to necessarily correlate to the whole project of navigation (at least in terms of that phrase meaning that you plan how to get from one place to another).

We would be heading down a county road and he would point off suddenly to an even smaller road off to the side. "Go that way!" he would instruct.

"I don't think that looks like the right way," I'd respond, with great understatement. "Why do you think that's the right way?

He would shrug. "It just looks more interesting."

So I would turn around and we would head down County Road YY towards a fading barn under a stand of trees and then, shockingly, a bright white church with a strident steeple pointing towards heaven plopped down starkly against a black mountain. He was right; it was more interesting.

It's a good kind of navigation.

Comments:
Get lost, get found.
 
We have taken detours while driving cross country. Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina. Avoiding the heavy truck traffic on the Interstates and finding generally good old U.S. and state highways. And small town cafes with great food and reasonable prices. Found great Thai, Ethiopian, Greek, Lebanese etc., while off the Interstate monotony!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#