Monday, May 07, 2018

 

Disappointment

There were a lot of great haikus last week, but one has really stuck with me. It is this one from CTL:


What do you do when
You have what you wanted but
It's not what you want?


Wow! That is a great question, and I think I know what he means. There have been times in my life that I have asked myself exactly that. Now, by the way, is not one of those times. But... I've been there.

You hope for something. You attain it. Then you are doing it, and it just isn't good. I see this often with my students and former students: They have a dream job in mind, they get it, and three or four years in they realize it is not what they want. The good news is, they know what they don't want! That means it is time for a change. That can be hard, especially if you have gotten used to money or status.

But starting over can be a salvation. I've done it; going from being a prosecutor in Detroit to a teacher in Waco was a huge change, in ways I did not expect. But it was worth it.

What you wanted is a wish from a person you no longer are. The person you are now is someone to listen to.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#