Sunday, April 15, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: Church is closed


We've got an incredible storm going here in Minneapolis-- already over a foot of snow on the ground, and lots more on the way. It's not unusual to get snow in April here, but this is pretty remarkable.

Lots of things are closed. The Twins cancelled their games yesterday and today after the mascot, TC the Squirrel, failed to remove even the first wave of snow (see photo). Stores were closing down mid-day yesterday, and the airport was down almost all of the day. This is unusual in Minnesota, where we pretty much soldier through weather like this-- even enjoy it-- through much of the year.

I got two emails yesterday saying that both churches I attend will be closed today. Closed! I don't remember that happening ever before in my life, a church closed due to weather.

And I'm not sure I like it. I mean... I understand that the point is to avoid people undertaking risky travel, and both churches offered an online alternative. Still, there is something to be said for church being difficult, of there being a sacrifice to have it. I kind of wanted to be part of a hardy band in a warm place of God as the elements raged outside. In fact, I wanted to ski there for it, which will be easy to do tomorrow morning.

But, yes, that's selfish. It is odd that wanting to do a challenging thing is selfish, but many of our modern indulgences are that way; we soak up various events that press us to a point of some discomfort because we want that. And if it endangers others, yes, there is an element of selfishness in that.

So, I suppose, it will be online church for me today...

Comments:
Pull out the skis one more time and worship in natures cathedral.
 
Mark: TC is a bear not a squirrel..Only a Detroit carpetbagger would make that elementary error.
 
I am always amazed at the medieval churches in France which are at the top of a steep hill and surrounded by a wall. Those people had to REALLY want to go to church to make the journey.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#