Friday, April 06, 2018

 

Haiku Friday: Goofus and Gallant


When I was a kid, I loved "Highlights for Children," and especially Goofus and Gallant, a comic strip that has been running since the 1930's.  More accurately, I loved Goofus. While Gallant was handing his mother a note pad that contained contact information for the friend he was heading out to visit, Goofus was skulking out the back door with a mysterious box, yelling "I gotta go talk to some guys about some stuff." While Gallant was raising money for his Scout Troop, Goofus was blowing his allowance on enormous amounts of gum. Seriously, gum. The guy was dangerous and interesting. Goofus was my erstwhile hero, no matter how many times my Mom patiently explained how this all was supposed to work.

In truth, I tried to act more like Gallant most of the time. But Goofus was definitely the better story.

Let's haiku about our own Goofuses and Gallants this week-- it's a good way to disguise the identity of your heroes or enemies. Or, if you'd rather, just straight-up wax poetic about Goofus and Gallant themselves.

Here, I will go first:

Thinking about it
It is his parent's fault, right?
Named him "Goofus."

Now it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable formula and have some fun!

Comments:
Your previous post
had pictures of Goofus left,
Gallant on the right!

 
I feel like Goofus
Inspired many a law school
Hypo. New name Rink.
 
Ah, yes, Rink Allegro. This year, he is going to conspire with Bob McBurger. Don't tell my students.
 
Judging by the hair,
Goofus is an Osler boy
Needs a haircut, now!!
 
Tragically I
Was Gallant too often, but
Goofus had more fun.
 
Loathed them at first
Then their snickers grew on me
Beavis and Butthead.
 
Let’s have an update.
“Goofus tweets mean, hurtful things.”
I’d read that cartoon.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#