Sunday, February 04, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: Writing and Speaking


I am tired.

This semester, I am teaching 9 credits-- a 4 credit class, a 3 credit class, and a 2 credit class. One of them is pretty much a new prep, since I changed the material. On top of that, I have been inundated with edits for my casebook and writing a teacher's manual for the book. I loved writing the casebook (all 950 pages of it!) but editing is not what I am good at.

It's hard, too, to go from the solitude of writing to the performance of teaching. My vocation requires both, but they pull in different directions, and it is often hard to change gears. I'm struggling a little with that.

But, in the middle of it, I'm finding some solace in short-form writing. I have a piece in the Waco Trib today, and had one in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune last week (there seems to be a lot of interest in prosecutorial practices these days). But the most important thing, and the most fulfilling, has been drafting a one-minute talk I will give this Friday. I'll describe that when it happens, but for now I will say that in the midsts of a national political debate that seems endless and fruitless, the 12-hour work days, and the dark of winter, there is something rejuvenating in writing about a hero.

It's like that, isn't it? Like Jesus promised... if you want calm, turn your heart to others. I fail so often at that--almost all the time--but when it happens, the revelation is straight and true. 


Comments:
Nice article in the Waco Trib -- I think most of us "non-lawyers" rarely consider what it's like to be a prosecutor. I find myself more frequently thinking "ooh, it would be tough to defend that person." Thanks for the view from the other side.

Re: Sunday reflection, I look forward to the hero's story. As for Jesus' promise, I wish academia's management spent more energy rewarding those who try to turn their hearts toward others. Unfortunately, colleges and universities now seem to be running on the backs of an army of adjuncts. We do our absolute best for the students and receive very little (including a living wage) in return. Last semester, I taught over 550 students at 3 different colleges (17 credits total) -- no benefits, low wage. During the spring of 2017, I taught 16 credits (including 3 new preps) on 3 campuses -- again, no benefits, low wage. We're the hired guns in academia's wild west.
 
Desiree-- you are really right! Not so much in law schools (adjuncts are usually working lawyers who teach one class), but certainly on undergrad campuses.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#