Wednesday, February 21, 2018

 

Birthday



So-- today's my birthday.

I've been on this Earth for a little while now.

Consider some of the things that were true on the day I was born:

-- My alma mater, William & Mary had never admitted an African-American student.
-- Women were barred from the undergraduate division of Yale, where I went to law school.
-- John F. Kennedy, his brother Robert, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Malcolm X were all still alive.
-- The Beatles were largely unknown in the US. They had not released an album yet.
-- There were people around who were alive during the Civil War.

In so many ways, the world is a better place now than it was then. There is more freedom in more places. There is cleaner air and water. There is nationhood in many places that were colonized when I was born. Women have more autonomy and opportunity.

This world is what we make it. And there is much more to do-- for me, and for us all. I'm in.

Comments:
Happy birthday, keep pushing!
 
Happy Birthday!!!
Xoxo
 
Happy, happy birthday! Thanks for all you do to keep pushing this country forward.
 
Happy Birthday, young 'un. I've got 9 days on you -- someday I'll tell you what it was like when I was born....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#