Wednesday, January 24, 2018

 

Oscar nominations are out!


Here are the nominees for best picture:


“Call Me by Your Name”
“Darkest Hour”
“Dunkirk”
“Get Out”
“Lady Bird”
“Phantom Thread”
“The Post”
“The Shape of Water”
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

I have seen four of the nine: Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Lady Bird, and The Post. I thought they were all good, though I would probably put Lady Bird and The Post above the other two. Which of the nine do you think should win?

Lady Bird was great, but I found it disturbing in the way it intended: The too-true depiction of the awkwardness of high school rang very true for me. And sometimes I still feel that goofy and odd, so the sense of truth in it hit me hard.

The Post, on the other hand, made me nostalgic, in two ways. First, it made me miss printing presses, the giant machines with typesetters and molten metal and paper flashing by. But, too, it made me miss that sense of a rush of work on something bigger than yourself, which I had at the end of the Obama years. Not that my work now is less important; just different. Much is accomplished in quiet.

And you? What emotions were raised in you by these movies?



Comments:
I've only seen three: Dunkirk, The Post, and Three Billboards. I thought all three were great pictures. I'm not sure which I'd pick, but I agree with your comments about nostalgia for printing presses. :)
 
I saw Darkest Hour. I thought is was fine. I predict it will NOT win best picture, but Gary Oldman seems a good bet ("chalk") to win best actor.
 
Only seen POST. Very well done. Streep and Hanks are outstanding, as are the supporting cast. Freaky flashback to HS and college. Where do they get all those period cars and clothes? Very timely, very important movie in the Trump era and his challenge to an independent (critical) press.
 
After the NY Times featured the director of Get Out a few weeks ago I ordered the DVD. Interesting and creepy, psychological thriller. I recommend as a Red Box rental or however normal people watch movies these days.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#