Friday, January 05, 2018

 

Haiku Friday: How cold is it?


I love winter. I really do. Look, I live in Minnesota by choice, so if I didn't love winter I would be kind of an idiot.

On the way home from work I drove over a little bridge near my house which passes over the creek. Beneath me, on the ice, some kids had shoveled off a rink and were playing hockey. The puck skittered over the snowbank, and a kid clambered after it in his skates. It was 4 degrees out. I wanted in on that game.

I know that out east, it is kind of crazy with the "bomb cyclone." Any weather system with "bomb" (or, for that matter, "cyclone") is going to be pretty bad. 

Let's tell some winter stories this week, in haiku. Here, I will go first:

What I love the most
Is the sound(lessness) of it
The hush of cold peace.

Now it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable pattern, and have some fun!



Comments:
Three times in my life
I have been out in 20
BELOW and windy!

So now a Texan
where cold is twenty degrees
above on a bad day.
 
Bobber darts downward
through the hole, under the ice.
I'm no longer cold.
 
What is that crunching?
Not underfoot, but above?
Oh... my hair just froze.
 
February Seventy
Eight I was a Kid when snow
Bomb Came to Central Mass
 
Moved up north for school.
Where’s the winter wonderland?
It’s too cold to snow?
 
Snow twinkles brightly,
Breath condenses like white smoke,
Frozen air bites nose.
 
Frost stops by woods and
Rosetti's bleak midwinter
both give heart and hope.
 
For the record, I
moved south to avoid as much
snow as possible


********

Enveloped by snow
Bird feeder becomes a Hajj
The world so quiet
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#