Tuesday, October 31, 2017

 

Lesser and Greater Things


Yesterday morning I went in to have some dental work done. Two of them worked away, anesthetizing my lower face until my lips felt like putty and my tongue like a discount bratwurst.  Then, of course, I went in to work to field calls about the Mueller investigation. "Mrrrph mmlllth thurb," I told WCCO. When the guy from the CBC called, I told him "Manaflorb mrph flurb." It should make for some great quotes.

Some quick takes on the news from yesterday:

-- In terms of what came out, the Papadopolous plea was much more important to the bigger picture than Manafort being charged, because Papadopolous has been talking to Mueller's folks since July. They cleverly got what they needed from him before entering the plea, meaning that Trump could not interfere with a pardon or public bullying.

-- The key fact about Manafort is that he is 68.  Money laundering has a 20-year maximum, and it is easy to bump up those guidelines. A ten-year sentence is natural life at that age and the subpar health care of prison, and that is a strong incentive to cut a deal.

-- There is now a bit of the iceberg popping out above the water... but only a bit.  There is a lot of speculation, a few facts, and lots of possibilities.

Anyways, those are lesser things. Over at his blog, my dad wrote this week about greater things (and combined it with some great photos, like the one above):

I have always been uncomfortable with the word classy which implies something stylish, superior, high -toned and and exclusive.  Some people wrongfully define class as based only on outward appearance. Long ago when I was growing up it was often used to describe something sophisticated, shallow and aloof. The classy restaurant that was special to my parents felt stuffy and served strange food. My best friends were never referred to as being classy. With time I have come across both places and people that had a lot of class without trying. Living in Detroit I have learned what a class act is. It comes effortlessly to the many hard working and thoughtful people. Class that is found  in Detroit has less to do with wealth or material assets and more to do with having moral values, having a good work ethic, having empathy for others, sharing with others, being  considerate of others, making do with what you have and appreciating what you do have
Having class means having a willingness to help others who truly need your help, being respectful of others, being  discreet, being honest, being reliable, being trustworthy, being sincere...
I find class in watching an older artist applaud the efforts of a young artist at the Detroit Fine Arts Breakfast Club and in the crowds that sometimes overflow the venues at Detroit’s Jazz Festival, even when they have to stand out of view of the stage they remain uncomplaining out of respect for the music. I find it in watching a young woman standing in line at Kroger give her place to an older customer and in friends who remain friends through the years. I find it in the Eastern Market farmer who lets you know when you have overpaid and in photographers who don’t use flash. Class can be found when a stranger  wishes you a good day, when an executive’s purpose is to retain workers rather than profits, when  leaders  respect their critics as well as their followers, and when teachers  learn from their students while they teach.  We see a lot of class when winners and losers get a beer together at the local bar after the game.


Comments:
I read your Dad's post yesterday and I love everything he has to say about class and what it truly means to him. I happen to agree.

Also, thank you for the Mueller investigation insights. I purposely avoided listening to everything about it until late in the evening. Too much prognostication on the topic and what it really means.
 
I totally agree with what you commented about the Muller investigation…your insight right on point.
And what a wonderful post from a genuine class act…one that lets true beauty speak for itself from deep inside the soul, one that marvels at the power of small acts of love and kindness.
One that I'm more than certain doesn't use flash.
 
Love both posts . . . and I can't get the discount bratwurst image out of my head.
 
"Mrrrph mmlllth thurb?" Bold prediction! Do you really think it will happen that quickly? And thanks to China? I'm not sure, but it will certainly be interesting to watch all of this unfold.

Also, I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "[m]anaflorb mrph flurb." Is that because of Paul Ryan's position on the release of the Kennedy assassination files? Or are you taking the position that Clinton Foundation machinations explain Monday's uptick?
 
It's a terrific photo, 'shopped into analog very well. Right, John?

There are apparently a handful more sealed indictments in the DC courthouse. We can assume they aren't marijuana busts. The sort of delicious thing is to imagine the conversations among Trump's advisers and former advisers, trying to figure out who talked. A very elaborate parlor game.
 
... and not without consequences!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#