Friday, September 22, 2017

 

Haiku Friday: Going Home


So, I wrote a piece for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune about the Detroit Homecoming last week-- it ran yesterday, and you can read it here. Then a publication in Michigan, Deadline Detroit, ran a piece about the piece I wrote (you can read that one here). So, it should be no surprise that I have going home on my mind.

Let's haiku about that this week... I can go first:

So many people
In that familiar place now
Filling up with life.

Now it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable recipe, and have some fun!




Comments:
Home is where those you
once knew claim you, even if you
don't live there any more.

Home is not where you
now live, if those who now live
there say "You from here?"
 
OsoGrand - you hit the nail on the head.
 
My home is now gone
Blown up by bad decisions
Ashes, dust, and tears.
 
Ten schools in twelve years.
Where is home? Mother explained,
"where Dad hangs his hat"
 
New Home in 3rd Grade
almost 50 years gone by
Miss the old one still

My kids know this house
To me, just another stop
Been there since their births

In their minds its home
Try to make it safe and fun
Someday for me too?
 
I knew that I was
truly alive when I heard
"you can go home now"
 
You know which board creaks.
When you sneak in late at night.
Home field advantage.
 
The lap of waves
Just outside my front window
I still hear it now.
 
Imprinted in youth
Home, for most, security,
love and family

Once your parents move
the memories stay with you
but no longer home.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#