Sunday, July 16, 2017

 

Sunday Reflection: Curiosity

Recently I was deep in conversation at dinner with an excellent writer. I told him that when I write op-eds, it begins with an emotion. I then asked him-- he's a fiction writer-- what it was that he began with.

"Curiosity," he answered. Then he explained: He begins with something he wants to know more about, and that propels him into a story he is deeply engaged with. It was a brilliant answer, and I have been thinking about it for a while.

That impulse, curiosity, is undervalued in our society. We seem addicted to certainty, to expertise and technical virtuosity, and that draws us away from the curiosity that makes man and boy, woman and girl, a better and more whole person. And what about our faith life? It seems like we start (at least I know that I do) with a certainty, and from there it can be a pretty short road forward. I think I am going to start being more curious. I will start with what I don't know and go from there.

I imagine that is where the best stories come from...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#