Friday, June 23, 2017

 

Haiku Friday: The song of the summer-- you pick the summer!



Beaches, pools, heat, hamburgers... and music. Summer has its own music, and it seems like the right song can trigger memories of summers long ago and not so long ago.

For me, when I hear Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark," I can't help but remember 1984. I was in college, and that summer I worked in a beach town-- Rehobeth Beach, Delaware-- in a restaurant. I loved that summer, and the days spent walking on the boardwalk and taking it all in. I lived in a ramshackle house with friends from school, and that song was on in the background a lot of the time.  I had no idea what I was doing; that was the summer that I was, among other things, America's worst bartender. I didn't even have a real bathing suit, just some old Adidas shorts and a sack full of t-shirts. But what more did I need?

So, let's haiku about summer songs. If you need some prompting, here is a handy list of summer hits going back to the 50's. It helps that many years are five syllables long...

Here, I will go first:

1984
The days were languid; the nights?
Dancing in the dark.

Now, it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable count formula, and have some fun...

Comments:
1984
A Very Cruel Summer
Bananarama
 
Singing way too loud
Driving Lakeshore, windows down.
Rosanna blaring.
 
"We Are Young" by Fun.
Just home from Afghanistan.
Brings me happy thoughts.
 
Lifeguards on the beach
Donna Summer in the air
"Let's dance the last dance..."
 
The best summer must
be one with a song called Sum-
mer of Sixty-nine
 
Let's hope the best is
yet to be--something this year
by Ed Sheeran? Hope.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#