Thursday, March 23, 2017

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Overload! Ack!


There is just too much going on! It's exhausting. Anyways, don't blame me-- I voted for Grarf.

The Trump/Russia story keeps on getting more momentum. This week, the testimony of Jim Comey revealed that there is an FBI investigation ongoing, and it appears that other sources are suggesting coordination between the Russians and the Trump campaign, particularly in the release of emails hacked from the Clinton campaign.

If the story continues to evolve in this direction, with a drip drip drip of information over a course of months solidifying around a narrative that the Trump people worked with the Russians to reveal information stolen from the Clinton campaign, I'm sure I won't be the only one who will see the parallel to Watergate. There, Nixon staffers coordinated the burglary of documents from Democratic National Committee headquarters. President Nixon was never directly implicated.

There would be three factual differences, I guess.  First, the theft was from the Clinton campaign, not the DNC. Second, the theft would be electronic rather than physical. Third, the purpose of the theft would be to make the documents public, rather than to gain a behind-the-scenes tactical advantage. I'm not sure any of those distinctions are significant.

Will we be as outraged as we were at Watergate, if this plays out to show a similar scandal?

UPDATE: you have to read Trump's interview with Time.  Here is part of what he says:

So when you…

And then TIME magazine, which treats me horribly, but obviously I sell, I assume this is going to be a cover too, have I set the record? I guess, right? Covers, nobody’s had more covers.

I think Richard Nixon still has you beat. But he was in office for longer, so give yourself time.

Ok good. I’m sure I’ll win.

He also claims that he say a picture of Ted Cruz, Cruz's dad, and Lee Harvey Oswald having breakfast.  Is there possibly such a thing? 

Comments:
I am more outraged by this for a few reasons but mainly because Nixon was still competent in the ways the government functioned and what his role was as President, whereas, 45 is clueless.

I doubt there will be any email trail directly implicating 45 since he personally doesn't e-mail. I wonder if his "tweets" can somehow be used to show he was complicit? The bragging and encouragement about hacking, the taunting of the Russians to go ahead and hack, the tweets praising Wikileaks?
 
I don't know what will happen with the investigations. A lot of people are outraged, but I think the country is too fragmented and jaded to be outraged, as a nation, over a Trump-gate.

That Time Magazine interview is nuts. It strains belief to think a president would end an interview like this: "But that’s the story. Hey look, in the mean time, I guess, I can’t be doing so badly, because I’m president, and you’re not. You know. Say hello to everybody OK?"

 
On the thing about Ted Cruz's Dad: One, such a picture would prove NOTHING! Two, photo manipulation is at a high skill in the Donald's Russian "friend's" world.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#