Wednesday, June 15, 2016

 

Tusk

The middle to late 70's weren't the most fertile time of music, perhaps, but some amazing things came out of it: The Ramones, the Talking Heads, and Patti Smith, for starters (and that is just bands from NYC).

In the realm of pop music, few have been as good at it as Fleetwood Mac, a group that grew out of an imploded blues band from the late 60's. In 1977, they made history with Rumours, probably the best (and perhaps only) album with the theme of divorce.

What I loved best, though, was what they did next: A double album called Tusk.  Here is the title song, which features the lo-fi USC marching band. My favorite part comes in at about 1:14, where Stevie Nicks shows unexpected talent at baton-twirling (who knew?):



Comments:
I can't tell you how much this song takes me back. In my mind, it just might epitomize the soundtrack of my Southern California experience in the late-1970s.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#