Friday, May 27, 2016

 

Haiku Friday: Changes



As pretty much everyone knows by now, Baylor is going through some serious changes. Based on a law firm's report on the University's response to sexual violence and rape of students, yesterday the governing Board of Regents fired football coach Art Briles and removed Ken Starr as President of the University (he remains as Chancellor and a tenured member of the law faculty). 

Last summer, I wrote this in the Waco Tribune-Herald, in talking about Baylor football:

Success changes things and presents new dangers. The obvious risk is to the academic integrity of the school. Less obvious but also important is the risk that such a major investment in football poses to the Christian identity of the school. Simply put, Jesus taught that “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Football, a sport that emphasizes aggressiveness, swagger and physical dominance, may be an awkward place for a Christian school to put its treasure.

I was glad to see Baylor take action, and release a summary of the law firm's report.

Let's haiku about change this week-- changes in work, changes in family, anything that relates to transition.

Here, I will go first:

Not so long ago
The light poured in.

Now it is your turn! Just be sure to use the 5/7/5 syllable format, and have some fun!






Comments:
One and only one
person meant I had to leave
Baylor. Glad I did.

 
I purchased a toy,
all by myself. And got change!
Money for nothing!

(But no chicks.)

At five, change was a
beautiful thing, I clearly
did not understand.

Today, I still struggle to understand change.
 
What are we willing?
Sacrifices at alter
Of big-time sports Gods

I love Division
Three college sports; closer to
Scholar-athlete i(deal)

 
Also love-worthy: Division II university sports - also closer to the vision of what scholar-athletes should be
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#