Sunday, January 10, 2016

 

Sunday Reflection: On the road


This week I will be traveling to CraigA's old haunt, Boston. (Side note: CraigA has a great commentary in the Richmond paper today).  Harvard Law is joining the group of schools working on clemency petitions, and I'm going to go help set it up. I'm looking forward to it, and working with some old friends.

Travel has a good effect on me: It opens me up.  Many of my better articles were written on planes, or in libraries far from home. Coming into contact with new people and experiences always makes me better, too.

Jesus moved constantly, of course. Partly, that was by necessity-- his mission and his audiences were all over. His travel not only took him to where he needed to be, but let him be who he needed to be. Reading the gospels, it is a little like reading the memoirs of a band member on tour, with a new place defining each chapter. Often, a gospel verse opens that way: "They travelled to…"

It is a deep urge within us, and sometimes a spiritual one. Micah 6:8 tells us not only to love justice and show mercy, but to "walk humbly with our God." We tend to ignore the verb in that last part, that we are to "walk." What happens then, when we walk with God? We find the rest of the world, maybe.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#