Sunday, October 04, 2015

 

Sunday Reflection: New Vines




There is a stone wall on the corner in front of my house. A few years ago a truck hit it-- ran right over it, really, cutting the corner too sharply-- and the stones were scattered all over the street.  At first I was angry at the truck driver, who hadn't stopped (or maybe didn't notice) once he had destroyed my little wall. After taking some pictures, I slowly began picking up the broad, flat stones. It was like a puzzle; I had to figure out how each fit with the others. I had help with the task, and we started to enjoy it. By the time I had the stones stacked up just right and in their place, I had a sense of accomplishment. 

Last year on the morning after halloween, I saw that someone had smashed a pumpkin on the top of the rebuilt wall-- it appeared to be a fresh uncarved one, judging by the amount of guts and seeds spread around. There is always something about smashed pumpkins that makes me sad; maybe that it feels like the vandal is destroying someone's childhood. I picked up the husk and carted it away. 

Ten months and a few weeks passed.

Then, a few weeks ago, snaky vines emerged from that wall.  It rained a lot, and they grew quickly, and instead of cutting them back I arranged them along and over the top of the wall.  Soon a few little pumpkins appeared, then more flowers.

Now I see people stopping there all the time-- it is a favorite for the neighborhood walkers, who examine the vines and admire the new fruit.

Sometimes, you just get a gift, unbidden; fresh vines from something smashed to pieces.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#