Sunday, October 25, 2015

 

Sunday Reflection: The Autumn of Life


Since I was a little boy in nylon jacket walking to school, autumn has been my favorite season. It shouldn't be surprise that it is also my favorite season of life.

In part, that is because in your 50's you have more to do, yet a sense of how things turn out. There is only a bit of anxiety left over that deepest of questions: "Who will I be?" At this, point, I know the answer to that question. I may not always be happy with it, of course, but I do know the shape and color of this life.

Spiritually, autumn has its dangers. It is easy to be comfortable in faith, and assume that you are in God's favor. I know that isn't true, of course. And I catch myself being too critical of others and their own journeys, and push myself (sometimes successfully) towards a more gracious outlook.

But…. it is autumn. The winter will come. But on these shortening days I know that an apple is crisp, the sight of a loved one brings joy, and that a scent can bring back a wave of emotion that is rich and deep and real.

It is, still, my favorite time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#