Sunday, September 13, 2015

 

Sunday Reflection: Space



I was in Hong Kong last May, and took the funicular up Victoria Peak.  There was a crowd at the bottom, and when I got off there was a crowd at the top (Hong Kong is like that). In fact, the landing at the top of the tram was basically a mall, full of luxury stores and restaurants, albeit with an astounding view:


Still, it was crowded. People jostled one another, talking in a hundred languages, pointing and taking pictures.  

After a minute, I realized something: we weren't actually at the top of the mountain.  There was a good 500-700 feet of elevation above us, at least. So I broke away from the crowd and started hiking up.  Once I was out of the place, there were few people, then none.  Eventually I got close to the top, and found this beautiful, quiet garden:




There I was, in the middle of this bustling world city, in this quiet peaceful place.  It was a moment of joy.

It probably shouldn't surprise us that Jesus does exactly that-- he is showing us a way to Sabbath.  I don't do it enough, though we have plenty of that right here in Minnesota...




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#