Friday, September 18, 2015

 

Haiku Friday: Parades!




Yesterday in New Orleans, I saw what seemed to be an improvised parade going down a side street in the middle of the afternoon, celebrating… I'm not sure what.  New Orleans is like that.

It is also the season for homecoming parades, which I dearly love.  Let's haiku about parades today-- the good, the bad, the utter disasters. I will go first:

Our float burned up
"It seemed like a good idea"
IPLawGuy said.
[Based on actual events. Yes, plural-- more than one event]

Now it is your turn! Use the 5/7/5 syllable formula and have some fun!


Comments:
1969
Vienna Halloween P'rade
Cub Scout Pack won Prize

(see how I compressed 8 syllables into 7-- cool, huh?)


 
Haiku to the Class of 1980...

Colored garbage bag
pom poms, stuff into wire mesh,
A waterproof float
 
I was a drummer
at NHS. Loved seeing
kids cover their ears

as our band marched by.
Drum cadences should be LOUD.
We made sure they were.
 
I am terribly
Bad at marching; So why
Was I in the band?
 
I love/hate parades,
Hated playing the same songs,
Pretty uniforms.
 
There was a dark boy
Ojibwe in his blood who
Rode a spotted horse

In the parade on
The Fourth. Wore buckskin bare chest.
Appaloosa proud.



 
On the Fourth of July
On emerald lawn, band marched by
I know myself. True

Citizen of World.
Glad to live here,But in the
Hypocrite parade.


 
When they marched past all
Wearing hats,I took mine off
I did not come from

The cookie cutter.
They said it would all be fine.
I found third party.

 
She sat on the float
A Six-foot Sparkler with
Rhinestone tiara.

Her court nuzzled close
Miniature brunette dwarves.
Perpetual smiles.

They waved til their wrists
Fell off and the scary clowns
Threw penny candy.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#