Thursday, August 20, 2015

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Why not treat drug crimes as business crimes?


As many of you know, I care deeply about narcotics law. In short, I want to find a way to reduce incarceration while doing what we can to keep illegal drug prices high-- that being the only thing that effective drug interdiction can really achieve. I've written about this in a number of places in the past year or so, including the Stanford Journal of Criminal Law and Policy and the Harvard Journal on Legislation.

Yesterday, I posted a new piece co-authored by Thea Johnson, who is Grey Fellow at Stanford Law School.  It is the lead article in the upcoming issue of Wayne State's law review, and you can download it here.  In short, we argue that drug crimes should be treated like other business crimes, using the same tools, because drug crimes are business crimes.  Our efforts to categorize narcotics as some kind of super-crime has failed, resulting mostly in bulging prisons.

If you read it (and I hope you will), I'm interested in your thoughts...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#