Sunday, June 28, 2015

 

Sunday Reflection: John Kasich and the Book of Matthew

In a recent interview, Ohio Governor and probably presidential candidate John Kasich said something puzzling:

Kasich, who is expected to launch a presidential bid in the coming weeks, said his Catholic background pushed him to run for governor.

"I got a calling, folks," he said Friday in a speech referring to Bible verses from memory more than once.

"I don't turn to Matthew to figure out what my views are," Kasich told reporters after his appearance on stage. "What my faith does for me, I hope, is gives me strength, it allows me to have patience, it helps me to love my enemies, it helps me to care more about other people, to be more empathetic toward other people."


Why would a Christian NOT turn to the Book of Matthew to figure out what his views are? That is, after all, the book that contains Christ's longest and most direct teaching, the Sermon on the Mount. Oddly, he then cites principles that are best articulated by Jesus in Matthew: to love enemies, and show empathy.

I know that many people are uncomfortable with politicians who say that their faith will influence their work, but that is the answer I most respect.

Think of it this way: There are only four possible forthright answers to the question "Will your faith influence  your work in the job you are seeking?"

1) To honestly say "My faith will influence the choices I make in the job I am seeking."
2) To dishonestly say "My faith will influence the choices I make in the job I am seeking."
3) To honestly say "My faith will not influence the choices I make in the job I am seeking."
4) To dishonestly say "My faith will not influence the choices I make in the job I am seeking."

First, we can dispense with the dishonest answers because they are, well, dishonest. Yet, I suspect that choice number three is both dishonest and popular.

Next, let's consider #3, the claim that one's faith will not influence the choices one makes in office. What kind of faith is it that gets checked at the door when one goes to work? If faith truly establishes one's principles, why would you abandon that in some of the most important decisions that you make? If a person's honest answer is that their faith wouldn't influence their work, then they have a "faith" that puts their own judgment above the desire of God for the world.

Thus, the first choice is the best, as it offers both honesty and a whole view of faith. Does that mean that we would have a state religion? No, because no one elected official is the state. Rather, it means that people of faith probably cannot faithfully hold some elected positions. If your belief system, spoken plainly, means you won't get elected, then your ambition should give way to your faith.

I've never run for office, nor will I. I'm aware that some of the things I believe, directed by my faith, are deeply unpopular in this country. People don't want pacifism or a government that primarily devotes its resources to helping the poor, the sick, those in prison-- the least of those among us. Yet my faith (and what Jesus says in Matthew) tells me that these are the principles to live by, the goals we must have, in whatever job we hold. So, there are some jobs I cannot hold. And perhaps John Kasich would be better off choosing either a faith that includes the Book of Matthew or his ambition for the presidency, rather than following his ambition while editing his Bible.





Comments:
'Pastor' Mark,

Amen, and thank you for reacquainting many of us with our 'hand held' mirrors after your 'homely' this morning. . .
 
The best answer would be, Yes, my faith informs my views, as does my upbringing, my schooling from Pre-school through College (grad school etc), along with all my other life experiences.

As far as political answers, Kasich's is pretty good. The ones that scare me are the ones who claim to take direct guidance from "The word of the Lord!" Their views may be informed by their faith, but no politician is truly guided and controlled by their faith. Kasich's answer may not have been elegant, but it was not some full throated declaration of certainty based upon a narrow interpretation of the Bible.
 
IPLG, this is one of the few times I disagree with you. If someone is going to make decisions based on a narrow reading of the Bible, I want them to be honest about that!
 

According to your post Kasich said:

"I don't turn to Matthew to figure out what my views are," Kasich told reporters after his appearance on stage. "What my faith does for me, I hope, is gives me strength, it allows me to have patience, it helps me to love my enemies, it helps me to care more about other people, to be more empathetic toward other people."

--To me, that means his faith helps shape his views. It does the things he lists: strength, patience, love his enemies, care, empathy. And that to me is good.

But his views are not shaped by the Book of Matthew alone -- nor are anyone else's. Everyone has a whole bunch of influences. The politicians and leaders who claim to be solely guided by "God's Word" scare me. First because either they're lying/pandering and second that they have a very NARROW view of the world if the Bible is their only influence and guide.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#