Thursday, April 23, 2015

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: The First Lady


While I agree with him on many things, on the one I know the most about (clemency), I have been sometimes critical of President Obama, in a wide variety of places-- up to and including the Washington Post (though I have been a bigger supporter lately).

All that aside, I will say this: Michelle Obama is a remarkable first lady.  There are a lot of things I admire about her:

1) As someone who was a very successful lawyer, it has to be a challenge for her to be so completely in her husband's shadow for these eight years. I get the idea that theirs had been a marriage of equals, and I am excited to see that re-emerge once the President's second term ends. In this role, she continues to exhibit the qualities that I try (often unsuccessfully) to model to my law students.

2) I really admire her interactions with the public. She seems warm and smart and engaged. It may be that (like former first lady Hillary Clinton) she is an introvert by nature, but she is wonderful when she does get out among people.

3) Her focus on fitness and nutrition has been great-- and addresses a real need in this country.

4) From what I can tell, she has a certain gravitas that allows her a different role at times than other first ladies have enjoyed. My hunch is that her voice is heard more often than we know within and around the White House, and that may be a good thing.

The first lady is not a politician, per se, but she is a public figure. Which first lady do you think was a great public figure? And what will it be like to have (as we will), a first husband?

Comments:
I cannot think of a first lady I do not like. In fact, first ladies are generally much more popular than their husbands because the position allows citizens to rally around a ceremonial figure that represents non-partisan and laudatory qualities of American political culture.

In general, first ladies have been extraordinary people with lots of ideas and personality --and that has accelerated over our recent past as the role of women in society has evolved. At this point, because of the way we now relate to first ladies, I expect our transition to the first first gentleman might be pretty smooth.
 
Favorite first ladies:
Betty Ford--for her legacy
Eleanor Roosevelt--for her voice
Jacqueline Kennedy--for her grace
 
I have to go with Barbara Bush. She was like a combination of Wilma and Fred Flintstone.
 
If history is to be believed, Dolly Madison seems to have had it all.

Well at the other end of the personality spectrum, but way up there for character and support was Bess Truman. I don't think any first lady was so beloved by her husband as she. Not everything Harry did suited me, but even when I disagreed with his policies and actions-maybe particularly when I disagreed-I knew the man was "solid." I am sure he drew strength from Bess, and that they shared the same very accurate moral compass.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#