Wednesday, March 25, 2015

 

The Regretful Prosecutor


Yesterday Tall Tenor sent me a remarkable story from Atlantic Monthly revolving around the wrongful conviction and death sentence given to a man named Glenn Ford in 1985 in Louisiana.

Released after 30 years because the district attorney asked for the charges to be dismissed due to new evidence, the state of Louisiana is fighting against paying Mr. Ford any compensation.  Meanwhile, Ford is dying of stage four lung cancer.

In the middle of all this, one of the prosecutors in the case has written a memorable letter of regret regarding the case.  In that letter the prosecutor, A.M. "Marty" Stroud III, begins this way (after a few preliminaries:

I was at the trial of Glenn Ford from beginning to end. I witnessed the imposition of the death sentence upon him. I believed that justice was done. I had done my job. I was one of the prosecutors and I was proud of what I had done.

The death sentence had illustrated that our community would brook no tolerance for cold-blooded killers. The Old Testament admonishment, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, was alive and well in Caddo Parish. I even received a congratulatory note from one of the state's witnesses, concluding with the question, "how does it feel to be wearing a black glove?"

Members of the victim's family profusely thanked the prosecutors and investigators for our efforts. They had received some closure, or so everyone thought. However, due to the hard work and dedication of lawyers working with the Capital Post-Conviction Project of Louisiana, along with the efforts of the Caddo Parish district attorney's and sheriff's offices, the truth was uncovered.


Later, Mr. Stroud reveals a more human part of the story:

In 1984, I was 33 years old. I was arrogant, judgmental, narcissistic and very full of myself. I was not as interested in justice as I was in winning. To borrow a phrase from Al Pacino in the movie "And Justice for All," "Winning became everything."

After the death verdict in the Ford trial, I went out with others and celebrated with a few rounds of drinks. That's sick. I had been entrusted with the duty to seek the death of a fellow human being, a very solemn task that certainly did not warrant any "celebration."

In my rebuttal argument during the penalty phase of the trial, I mocked Mr. Ford, stating that this man wanted to stay alive so he could be given the opportunity to prove his innocence. I continued by saying this should be an affront to each of you jurors, for he showed no remorse, only contempt for your verdict.

How totally wrong was I.


To be moral, the death penalty must be perfect-- we must know that innocents won't be killed. Capital punishment is a product of humans, though, and we humans can never be perfect, or create perfection.  The death penalty cannot, then, ever be moral.






Comments:
An amazing, humbling read. I wish all prosecutors were able to proceed with this much thoughtfulness, yet Mr. Stroud was only able to reflect in this manner after years of experience and perspective. I have heard it said many times that perhaps there should be some requirement that before becoming a prosecutor one should be required to have a certain amount of life experience in order to have the context and humility required to do the job right. Nothing like a 25 year old who has no experience in the "real world" to make it too much about winning, not enough about the search for justice. Great to see his letter getting this much attention.
 
WOW!
 
As always mark, you shift my perspective just a touch with your insightful sharing and thoughts. Thank you.
 
Whoa. Powerful, powerful stuff. It echoes what you've been saying -- and working for -- all along. Playing God is dicey at best, immoral at worst. Good for the folks in Boston who still don't want death for the Boston bomber.
Bob
 
Thanks for passing this on Mark (and TT). This is very moving. The candor of the letter and the video interview are remarkable … and an important witness.
 
“The clear reality is that the death penalty is an anathema to any society that purports to call itself civilized. It is an abomination that continues to scar the fibers of this society and it will continue to do so until this barbaric penalty is outlawed. Until then, we will live in a land that condones state assisted revenge and that is not justice in any form or fashion.” What powerful eloquence and a fit conclusion to yet another glimpse at the blight that death penalty is for this great country of ours. Thank you for sharing.
 
Somehow, the execution of Eichmann does not seem to me to have been immoral: no question of identity, evidence of heinous crime(s) to a moral certainty. .

I think the argument against capital punishment is on sound ground when approached solely on pragmatic public policy grounds. The certainty that some innocents will be caught up in the process, the possibility of irreversible error alone justifies its abolition. I don't know that a convincing case has as yet been made that across the board, it is cheaper to incarcerate than to execute. But, that too may be another public policy consideration.

What to do with the Eichmann type cases remains a question for me. There are, after all, a fair number of cases where the guilt of the accused is beyond question and the crime(s) so unspeakably heinous, incarceration is wholly inadequate and unsatisfying and unjust.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#