Sunday, September 14, 2014

 

Sunday Reflection: A gentler world


On Friday night, I walked over to the local high school football stadium (which is very close to my house) to see the Edina High homecoming game.  It was very familiar from my own days in high school:  The stands were jammed, they announced a homecoming queen, and some goofy things happened (including a streaker on the field-- how 70's is that?).

There are some different things though, too.  You have to look for them, though.  

For example, check out the picture above (you can make it bigger if you click on it).  Yeah, it's the band playing at halftime-- a great extravaganza featuring the 300+ member Edina Marching Band.  But look carefully at who is in the band.  A cheerleader is playing cymbals.  A football player is playing trombone, and so is the homecoming queen.  The old lines between band dorks and cheerleader/athletes has totally broken down.  And that's good.

My favorite moment, though, was probably this:  Before the game, the Edina Men's Chorus sang the national anthem.  And who was in the chorus?  A lot of football players, and some of the band guys, and one coach:


Let's be honest about something here:  When I was in high school, football players probably didn't do that because singing in the choir was "gay."  Nor did homecoming queens march with the band-- they were too cool.  And check out the fraternity video in the post preceding this one.  This is a fraternity at a rural Pennsylvania school doing an entire lip dub to a Taylor Swift song, and there is not a whiff of homophobia about it.  

Our world is full of hate and the likes of ISIS, but some corners have becoming more kind, and even more loving.  For that, I'm grateful.  And thanks for the song, football players...



Comments:
"the corners have become more loving"--I like that.
 
I played baseball in high school, and played in all of the bands (marching, jazz, symphonic). I found going between the two world exhilarating. On the other hand, as a pitcher, I agree with your general theses. Pitchers should be allowed to bat. This whole designated hitter thing is clearly driven by hatred of some sort. Astro-turf needs to go too.
 
I'm with you on the DH. Yet, somehow, I always end up in American League cities.
 
Also, the homecoming king was a drum major.
 
Upon reflection, there were quite a few cross country and track guys in the Concert Choir at North but I only remember 1 or 2 football players and wrestlers wearing choir robes.
 
This is one of the most beautiful, poignant, uplifting things I have ever read. And perhaps not coincidentally, one of the simplest. Thank you Prof. Osler.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#