Tuesday, July 08, 2014

 

On the green line...


There is a great new train here, the Green Line.  It connects downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul, and crosses a bunch of fascinating neighborhoods along the way.  

I was checking it out over the weekend when I noticed the sign pictured above.  It was a littleā€¦ unsettling.  They had taken my picture over a year ago, saying it was for "signs and stuff," but I hadn't really seen any use of it before.  Then, boom!  There it was.  

I didn't write the tag line ("I teach leaders"), but it is very true.  Just from the past few classes at St. Thomas, I can think of some of my former students who already have important roles in this community and elsewhere-- real leadership roles, where discernment and judgment will be crucial.  When I started teaching, one of my mentors told me to think of exactly that:  That what I would be telling these students they might remember years later, when they faced important decisions.  Sometimes, I really try to build a moment into class, something that will be remembered years later.  Does it work?  I don't know-- I'm not there those many years later.  But I do know that the people I train do become leaders, and that makes the project all the more important.  


Comments:
Is this some sort of reading comprehension test? Or are you trying to make a bad pun that your employer missed?
 
Well I must say you look thinner now than you do in the picture. But then they say the camera adds 10 lbs....
 
Professor, I don't want to freak you out, but there's a guy on a billboard behind you that looks eerily like you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#