Sunday, June 15, 2014

 

Sunday Reflection: Well Parented


I am now 51 years old.  I imagined, as a younger person, that at this point in life I would no longer need to be parented, but I have found that as I get older I need the lessons I get from my mom and dad as much as ever.

The delivery method has changed, certainly.  I don't rely on them to tell me what to do (and they aren't eager to do so anyways).  Instead, I find that I learn a lot by watching them, and learning from their actions and the beliefs that are reflected there.  It's like reading the gospels-- there are the teachings, but also what we see in Jesus's actions, how he lived, that tells us things of great meaning, too.

I'm constantly inspired by my parents.  Some of what I have seen, I try to incorporate into my own principles and actions.  Here are a few of those things I see when I watch them:

1)  Their sense of justice is rarely offended by things that happen to them.  Rather, their passion is largely reserved for injustices suffered by others.  There is so much more power in that, huh?  They are givers, and happily so.

2)  They see beauty everywhere.  In people, in places, in the light on a fall afternoon.  They see it, and they talk about it, and then others see it to.  When you look at my dad's art (like this and this), it is like seeing through his eyes for one moment.

3)  They care about ideas more than things.

4)  They have been my parents for 51 years, and they still surprise me.  I don't know everything, and when I care to watch I see how much more I have to learn...


Comments:
This is a beautiful tribute to two amazing people who had the courage to raise their children with values and freedom. What a gift. Isn't it astounding to see life through their eyes now?
MMM
 
Mark, are you parents available for being loaned out for a weekend? What wonderful gifts…
 
Beautiful, Mark! You are indeed fortunate to have such a wonderful and creative dad!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#