Monday, June 30, 2014

 

Summer Story of Waco

I love haiku that tells a good story, and I particularly enjoy a story I can relate to.  That's why I liked Heather Garcia's verses about one particularly gross cycle of life in Waco:

The cricket plague stinks.
Literally. Thousands of
dead ones bring a stench.

Dead is better though
than flying in attack mode
through my living room.

They reign at gas pumps
too. I do a crazy dance
to get them off me.

At last the birds come,
migrating to my rescue.
They feast on my plague.

Three cheers for the birds!
…til they take over and I
become their target.

Proposal day, I
get congratulated by
warm goo on my face.

Comments:
Yay! I knew immediately when I read your topic for last Friday that I had to contribute. At one point I actually created an equation to measure my fear of bugs based on their size, abilities, proximity and number. It's serious business.
 
I remember my first experience with the Waco crickets. I was driving down from NY to start law school. We stopped for gas, I grabbed the pump and ACK!! WHAT THE F**K IS THAT ON MY HAND?! GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF!

Welcome to Texas.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#