Monday, June 09, 2014

 

Mothers and Fathers


My parents were visiting last week; they left early in the morning yesterday.  Their three children live strung out along I-94, so they can head out from Detroit and hit us all without straying from that road.  They do anyways, though; on of the things that is in our blood is a near-total inability to stay on an interstate highway for long.  We're bored, and crave the things to see along the road that was there before the interstate was laid out, so we head over to highway 12 or route 614 or country road BB or whatever and hope for the best.  Often, our hopes are fulfilled.

As always, I miss them when they leave.  I don't know anyone else like them.  They left behind various things, as we always do, and I will pick them up and put them in a bag and later this summer I throw that bag and drive down I-94 towards their end of the road. Not that I will stay on the highway. There will be a highway 12 or county road BB that I can't resist.  I probably will be a little late.

Amy Shimmel wrote a great haiku last week that isn't disconnected from all of this:

A deep well of love
Mothers believe in their kids
Time and time again.


It's true.  They do believe, even when we say we will be there by 4 and that turns out to be an incorrect estimate, due to the interstate problem...


Comments:
We will take an Interstate if we have never been on that stretch or if we have to get somewhere for a wedding or funeral. But otherwise.

Interstate 40 in E. Tennessee and W. NC is beautiful. I64 in Western VA and E. W.VA, I77 from NC to Ohio. Just a few examples that are worth the trip once or twice. But I94 -- too flat and too much ugly out the windows along the way.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#