Friday, June 13, 2014

 

Haiku Friday: Summer jobs


That's my sister Kathy, happily gutting a fish up at the Island last summer.  There is something about summer tasks-- grilling, fish-catching, mowing the lawn-- that get built into our sense of self.  

So that's one kind of summer job you can haiku about.

The other is the more traditional "summer job"-- those temporary employments during high school and college.  Feel free to cover that, if you would like.

Here is mine:

I drove a combine
In thick, lush fields of green peas
Unlikely farm hand.

Now it is your turn!  Craft a poem that has about 5 syllables for the first line, 7 for the second, and 5 for the third, and you are in business!


Comments:
Lifeguard at the pool
Tanned, flirting but ready
Save lives in a trice
 
KFC kitchen
Dropped a lot of chicken
Grease spill paradise!
 
Babysat a cat
It was plagued with demons
Me, terrified boy.
 
Forty Baylor Bears,
Exploring the Alhambra,
Spain in the summer.
 
The who had it right
No cure for summertime blues
Work = the blues
 
Poor Anonymous! That haiku made me laugh hard.
--

Movie concessions:
Got my fill of popcorn and
free midnight premieres.

Cleaning the popper
is grimy, hot work. P.S.
Never get "butter."
 
Indigo sky chucked
Insults early morning bus
White dress hairnet charm.

Breadsticks white hot shot
Like Missles down the belt,is
THIS my life's work?!

.
 
I boxed breadsticks at Gai's Bakery in Seattle at 5 a.m. Boxing breadsticks in Hell.
 
I am a lifeguard.
Summer job: a perfect fit.
Meyers/Briggs says so.
 
Worst job ever? Mine.
Babysat IPLawGuy
(He was 21).
 
R&D lab tech
Bakery Applications
Taste testing best part
 
R&D lab tech
Bakery Applications
Taste testing best part
 
A fellow waitress
Lobbed saltshaker at my head.
My testy sister.
 
The aged don with
Bergemot scented breath.Silk
Ties kid leather shoes.

I transcribed his notes
And all of a summer kept
A garden in his bed.
 
White cupboard of jars
In a Catholic family's house
Eight kids. I babysat.

I also cleaned.Jars
Baby food jars they were,filled
With water. I poured


Water in sink,tossed
Jars in trash...they were filled with
Holy water! Prot!



 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#