Wednesday, June 04, 2014

 

Good advice, guys!



Well, I certainly got a lot of good advice from people in response to my post yesterday about musical theater.  RRL suggested I check out the Book of Mormon (above).  Gavin wisely pointed me to the Hennepin Theater Trust as a source for tickets to good shows just a few blocks away.  Also, some anonymous guy pointed out that I listed the Lion King twice.  Oops.

Perhaps most intriguing, though, was this message from my Mom:

In the words of King Lear, "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child."

When you were a senior in high school, we took the whole family to the Fisher Theater to see "Les Miserables." It is my all time favorite show, and I was in seventh heaven. Evidently you were not! You did see it, though.


Ouch!  She is, of course, right, and you gotta respect the Shakespeare quote...


Comments:
A number of these shows are available in movie form and I would recommend you have an occasional movie to watch.

Mama Mia (the movie) is really bad and hysterical.

The Music Man with Robert Preston or Matthew Broderick on DVD are both really good.

But you must see Book of Mormon and Wicked on stage along with Spamalot.
 
I am a Stephen Sondheim fan,and for sheer poetry non-cloying variety and elegance of thought,I recommend you check out, "Into the Woods." I agree with Christine wholeheartedly.My favorite musical is "My Fair Lady." I just like it that you are always open to things--things you might have heretofore rejected En avant!
 
Agree about The Book of Mormon, esp onstage. And actually West Side Story, whether onstage or the original film version. It's a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, with terrific music.

With musical theatre . . . it's like anything else: if it's a gripping story told well, it's great. If not, it's pretty awful. Maybe more awful, because of the forced nature of those sudden songs coming out of nowhere.

And I do love The Sound of Music (there's only one version of that, right? Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer?)

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#