Sunday, May 11, 2014

 

Sunday Reflection: Bittersweet Commencement

I love my job here at St. Thomas Law School.  Here are some of the reasons why.


Josh wrote a remarkable paper for me, about the problems veterans returning from active duty face in the criminal justice system.  It taught me something-- a lot, really-- and other people need to read it.  Some students write things I like, some that I approve of, and once in a while I get one that I admire.  This was one of those.


Here is Charles, who was took most of my classes and worked with me in the clemency clinic.  Before law school, he was a Marine and then returned to the Red Lake reservation, where he worked as a police officer (and then the chief of police).  He was a comrade to me, in that he understood (as I do) the challenges of working on that side.  I hate to see him go, but I love thinking of the things he will do.


This is Caitlin, who came to St. Thomas from Hawaii, via Baylor undergrad.  She is one of the most engaged students I have ever had.  She was all in, both in class and in the clinic, and brought a wonderful focus, intelligence, and compassion to her work.  I will miss her.


This is Jose, who just finished my Criminal Practice class.  I loved having him in class.  He's off to work for Harlem Legal Services, and I know he is going to do great things there.


This is Debbie, who came from Ireland via India and did 10,000 good things while she was in law school.  I got a sense of how she did it when she was in my clinic last year and I observed her deft and deep intellect at work.  


Kelly wrote her major paper under my supervision, and she owned it.  She wrote, apparently in one fell swoop, a remarkable analysis of the challenges felons face in seeking work.  Importantly, crucially, her paper didn't just identify a problem, but solutions.  In class, she was a wonderful presence, and an incisive thinker.  She's got more great work to do!


Maria was in my Sentencing and Criminal Practice classes this year, and rocked them both.  When I was grading sentencing finals, I came across one answer that was just perfect-- better than my key.  It was Maria's.


Finally, here are Nicole and Ted from my clemency clinic this year.  I loved the work they did, and found each of them to be inspiring to me at one time or another.  They came into law school with remarkable skills-- and hopefully got some new tools as they go forward to exceed what we teachers might have done.

There are many others, but I am out of room for pictures...









  



Comments:
Congratulations to all!
 
You honor me with your comments! There is definitely more work to do and more writing to be done. You have not seen the last of me ... :)
 
You honor me with your comments! There is definitely more work to do and more writing to be done. You have not seen the last of me... :-)
 
Nice jacket to go with a lovely post
 
Nice jacket to accompany a lovely and moving post!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#