Saturday, May 17, 2014

 

The Scramble Band


I had a great time at the symposium yesterday at Stanford-- I did my usual ranting thing while waving my hands over my head, but the other speakers seemed very thoughtful and well-read.  

The campus is really lovely, and HUGE-- the biggest contiguous campus in the United States.  In the distance this afternoon, I heard the marching band, or some part of it, off in the distance.  The Stanford band is a little... unusual.  Aside from their famous role in a certain football game,  the Stanford band is also one of the few "Scramble Bands" in the country-- which apparently means  that they run around and insult the other team rather than actually marching.  It IS entertaining!   

Other schools with this type of band include Rice, Harvard, Villanova, and both of my own alma maters, William and Mary and Yale.  Of them, Yale may be the most fun:




And why is it so oddly satisfying when the traditional baton-twirler shows up out of nowhere at about 2:20?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#