Thursday, March 13, 2014

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Between Two Ferns and the Party of Scolds


Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis: President Barack Obama from President Barack Obama     


If you haven't seen President Obama's interview with Zach Galifianakis on "Between Two Ferns," here is your chance!  I think it is brilliant.  The President needs to reach out to younger people to make the Affordable Care Act work, and this is a great way to do it.  It's hilarious, it makes a point, and it shows a side of the President-- cool, human, and funny-- that we too rarely glimpse.

If you don't really get it, that might be because you aren't familiar with Galifianakis's schtick.  He's basically a jerk to everyone, and his guests don't want to talk to him.  For context, check out this previous interview:


Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis: Happy Holidays Edition from Zach Galifianakis     


Now, of course, Republicans are just outraged by this!  Why?  Because they are outraged by anything Obama does.  (Admittedly, in the Fox News clip linked here, one of the guys appears not to have gotten the memo to be outraged, but super-offended guy makes up for it).

There are things about my own beliefs (Christian, small-government sympathies) that should draw me to the Republican party, but they have thoroughly defined themselves as humorless "get off my lawn" cranks who are outraged by almost everything they didn't come up with (and sometimes with things, like the fundamentals of the ACA, that they did come up with).   The constant negativity is a lousy case to make when what you want to do is gain power.

Republicans have important points to make, especially about the budget.  It would be easier to hear if they weren't such scolds.
 



Comments:
They keep pushing people out of their tent. I was pushed out several times -- when they booted Nelson Rockfeller, and when they chose to fight the ACA rather than work to make it more amenable to the original idea that underlies it that has been an R idea since Nixon, Reagan, and Bush I all supported it.
 
People are saying this was about Obama reaching out to a new demographic, but I think we all know it is really about Obama throwing a bone to Between Two Ferns, after he turned down Todd and Zack's request to shoot The Hangover IV at the White House. Said something about it being "unbecoming."

 
Well, yeah, Hangover IV at the White House… that is over the line.
 
"Republicans are just outraged by this!"

Really? I mean, some people at Fox News might be feigning outrage, but that is what they exist for, and even you pointed out that the people on Fox News couldn't agree about whether they should be truly outraged about this appearance. I'm a Republican. I know a lot of Republicans. I think the general reaction amongst Republicans ranges from, "what is Funny or Die?" to "that was kinda funny." Most view it as irrelevant, funny but irrelevant, or indicative of the desperation the White House is in to get people to sign up on the exchange.

I will say that when I saw it I had two reactions: 1) it wasn't that funny, and I think I understand the joke and I still didn't find it that funny; and 2) I found the timing odd. If this was a last fall or a few months ago, I don't see a problem. I think that while your engaged in an international pissing match with Putin over Crimea, this comes off a bit amateurish. It seems small.

That being said, I'm not outraged. I'm just unimpressed.
 
Hey, Obama needs young people to sign up for the health care plan to work. The deadline is coming. The timing makes sense to me.

So, now I want to see RRL on the show...
 
I find Fox News to be funny, what’s not funny is that a good number of people actually take them seriously. Talking about Putin (Vlad Putin, as one of the Fox News homies calls him)I see him as the perfect political commentator for Fox News. He’d surely bring some much needed raw entertainment, like riding a bear or annexing Coney Island and Brighton Beach to mother Russia.
 
I find Fox News silly and irrelevant. I think the exact same thing about MSNBC, CNN, and anyone that thinks that the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are insightful or meaningful in any way.
 
Forget Vlad Putin, I want a show with RRL and Marta featured...
 
What a capital idea,Professor! I agree!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#