Sunday, January 26, 2014

 

Sunday Reflection: Celebration of Craig

Today is Craig Anderson's 60th birthday.  The birthday itself is not such an important thing, a flipping of the odometer, but this person is important. 

Craig has been my mentor in many ways.  When I was 20 years old, he was my boss and the person in my life who was best at steering me towards what was right and away from what was... kinda stupid.  Because at that point in my life I felt some kind of inexorable pull towards doing stupid things. 

Later in life, he showed me other things.  He encouraged me in taking risks, talked me into doing the Trial of Jesus, and (perhaps most importantly) showed me how a church works.  In short, it works because people like him do what it takes to make it work.  I love his church, Holy Comforter in Richmond, and have gotten to know it.  I've given sermons there, seen their "cabaret night," and met most of the people who attend.  To many of the people there, it is the center of the world.  Craig is one of the people who holds it up, doing what is needed.  Sometimes he leads-- by taking the initiative, for example, in pushing the congregation to focus on the environment as a Christian stewardship.  Other times he follows, playing a role in making someone else's plan a success.  All of this he does with a remarkable selflessness.  I hope to someday be that way.

It's a worthwhile life, and one I greatly admire.

Comments:
Happy Birthday CraigA, this 60th time and and many, many more!
I only know you from the thoughts you share that resonate and inspire. Not often, but sometimes that's all it takes.
 
Wow … thanks Mark! Very kind. And thanks Marta.

On the other hand, is this a thinly veiled ploy to keep me silent (and Razorites in the dark) about your exploits at William and Mary? Just wondering.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#