Saturday, December 07, 2013

 

Christmas Movie Pantheon


Every year, I end up seeing one or two Christmas movies, which I suppose has now become an official genre.  My viewing is a little uneven; I have seen The Town That Christmas Forgot  twice, but have yet to see A Christmas Story or that one where Jimmy Stewart saves a bank or something.

I've noticed that, somehow, the movie Love, Actually has become a "Christmas Classic," despite (1) Mostly being about Brits, who celebrate Boxing Day, and (2) Not being a very good movie

How did this happen?


Comments:
First, the Jimmy Stewart film is "It's a Wonderful Life". Seriously, you have never seen this film or "A Christmas Story"? How is this possible?

As for "Love Actually", yep a bunch of Brits with no mention of Boxing Day. It is a corny film as are most of them with the exception of "Frosty the Snowman"
 
Ok, I also need to see "Frosty the Snowman." I was told that the scene where the villagers finally figure out how to kill Frosty is quite riveting.
 
Required viewing for you this Christmas is Christmas Story (you can pass on It's a Wonderful Life and Frosty). Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer in claymation should not be missed, simply because of the Island of Misfit Toys which makes its way into many jokes in our house. My favorite Christmas movie is When Harry Met Sally. Yes, I do believe it is a Christmas movie.
 
I am a firm believer that Scrooged, starring Bill Murray, is one on the most underrated Christmas movies of all time. Its full of dark humor but can be tpuching at times. A little teaser... When told that the little raindeer antlers will not stay on the trained mouse's head, Bill replies "Well, have you tried staples"?
 
"Christmas in Connecticut"
Writers, romance, cooking, eating, singing, dancing, breaking things, jail, kissing in the snow...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#