Thursday, December 19, 2013

 

Advent Quiet Thursday: Seeing things

[click on the image to enlarge it]

One thing I liked about my dad's TV interview (in the post below) was that the interviewer seemed to ask the questions people most often wonder about.  One of them was this:  How do you capture that moment?

My dad kind of shrugs it off in the interview, saying "click click click," to suggest he just takes a ton of pictures and snags the best one, but that isn't really true.  He knows the moment to capture, and waits for it.  I've seen him do it.  Often, I'm startled by the moment he has chosen, until I see the image.  Then it makes sense; he has caught some truth in that moment that didn't exist a fraction of a minute before or after.  You can see this in the pictures that are in his book-- they are of these moments that tell a story, the story of that spare small fraction of time.  What he does well is not so much color or composition or even subject... it is timing.

Trying to teach students at Baylor how to try a case, I used to urge them to find that moment, that image, that tells their story, and to leave that as the image that lingers for the jury.  It was mostly futile; I didn't see them do it much.  I realize now that my failure was this:  I skipped a step, the step where I would have explained that there even was such a moment, that it did exist, and that it mattered.  

It does, because that is all this short life is made of.




Comments:
It is very true that life is a series of events stitched together by timing. Sometimes timing seems fortuitous and sometimes doomful, but in retrospect timing is always spot on and it always tells the story as it is, in all its beautiful messy glory. I think your dad, like all artists and some other fortunate few, has a sixth sense…that of anticipation. Anticipating a moment, a series of moments…something one cannot put their finger on, just knowing it’s coming…that is a godsend gift!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#