Thursday, December 12, 2013

 

Advent Quiet Thursday: On the subway



In Advent, I often take a break from Political Mayhem Thursday, a tradition I will keep this year.  (Though my piece yesterday in the Huffington Post created enough tumult for a while).  Instead, I am going to describe a few images that I can't get out of my head-- things that haunt me in the quiet moments we should be seeking in this season.

I was on the subway in New York at about 5:10 pm.  I was riding the 2 train, an express that goes up the west side of the city carrying all kinds of people-- it's a very diverse group, from the homeless to financial mavens riding from work to home.  It was a cold, snowy day, and people were wreathed in warm clothes.

On a train like that you are smashed in together, and there is a certain beauty to it, something that flows from the destruction of our normal sense of personal space.  There are certain unspoken rules in that situation, though.  For example, it seems to be transgressive to look anyone else in the eyes for more than a moment, even though their eyes are only inches from you own, and it's not an easy thing to avoid.

At 14th Street, a woman got on and was packed in beside me.  She was a little older than I am, and looked like someone I might know.  I made the mistake of looking her in the eye to see if I did, and she quickly turned away. 

She was wearing one of those thin-but-warm down jackets, in dark blue.  She had the hood up, with wisps of her blond bob sticking out and the temples of her glasses tucked underneath.  I looked down to see her shoes, and found that she was wearing those wonderful LL Bean shoes with the rubber uppers-- nothing keeps feet warmer and drier.  Clearly, she was coming from or going to a situation where she would be outside for a while in the snow, perhaps walking to or from the train.

There was something about her that did remind me of women I have known my whole life-- well-educated, readers, someone who can discuss theory-- that are a good chunk of the productive population of places like Grosse Pointe and Edina and Yale.  "Do I know her?" I thought to myself, "or is she just like someone I know?"

The train rattled into Penn Station and the doors opened; more people pressed in, so that her hip was pressed against mine.  Her face was now less than a foot away, close enough to read the name of the designer on the inside of the frames of her glasses.  I noticed that she had a purse in one hand and a shopping bag in the other, clutched tightly in leather-gloved hands. 

The doors closed and the wheels screeched as we left the station towards Times Square.  People settled into their positions, and other than the sounds of the car itself, there was quiet.

I looked up and saw a tear rolling down her cheek.

It wasn't melting snow or ice; it was silent crying.  Her face was set hard and cold, but could not betray the truth of that tear as it traced over the curve of her cheek, moving slowly over the skin.  I stared, I know-- I couldn't help it, because there was something ineffably beautiful, remarkably human about the moment.

I wondered why she didn't wipe away the tear, with just a quick motion and the back of her hand, but realized that with the bags in her hands, her arms were trapped beside her body among the crush of people.  She was helpless.  The tear continued its snail crawl, inexorable, determined.  I saw it move in super close-up, from only a few inches away.

There was an overwhelming urge within me to reach up and do what she could not-- wipe away that tear.

I did not, though.  It felt too transgressive, too intimate, to touch her skin, if even for a moment; to recognize that I knew she was crying, that I knew she had something so sad, so true, that trapped and helpless deep on the 2 train she could not hold it back.

She was, as I said, like so many people I have known and been.

Comments:
I don’t have a car. Never wanted to have a car. I learned to drive more than a decade ago when my friend was moving to California and didn’t want to go to driving classes alone. My driving instructor was Jesus, yes, that was his name. The first thing Jesus told me was that if I can drive in Washington Heights (a Dominican Neighborhood in Upper Manhattan, where traffic rules are made for other people) I can drive anywhere...couldn’t tell if that was supposed to allay my transparent fear. I took the driving exam in the Bronx. I don’t even know how I managed to parallel squeeze the [driving school’s] car in a parking spot on a hill, but I passed from the first try and I never set foot in the driver’s seat since. The subway is my life line. It takes me where I want to go at any time and it challenges me every single time. To be patient, to be humble, to be as decent a human being as one could hope. The subway is where everybody is in it together. The subway is where life teaches you all sorts of lessons every single time you go through those turnstiles. Not just the banker brushing elbows with the janitor, the young with the old, the able with the frail, it is where peace has a totally different dimension, almost like church. The soothing peace of a car emptied suddenly after at a popular station one time, and another, the troubling peace of a car emptied around a homeless rider. What more humbling a reminder of how life really stinks when one gave up. The subway is where truth is sometimes inescapable. The subway is where a tear may just have to dry on your cheek, because there is no other choice. Thank you Prof!
 
I used to ride the Metro as a commuter here in DC. Never had quite so poignant an experience, but you do see all range of human interaction and emotion.

The angry parent and sullen child. The lovebirds. The angry couple. The overbearing parent. The overbearing boyfriend. The bitchy girlfriend

So you asked what I would have done or said on Facebook... I guess I just would have smiled and tried to look happy and friendly to remind her that there are friendly faces. But reading minds is a really hard thing to do.
 
Great story! I was actually the crying woman once on a NY subway. Something struck me as sad and I teared up (very uncommon for me). The car wasn't too crowded and a woman in a business suit got up and stumbled her way toward me, as the car was moving roughly along, just to ask if I needed any help. I didn't, but she made my day and I still remember her 15 years later.
 
So, Desiree, what should I have done? I like your story… I would rather have been that lady than the guy who just got off uncomfortably at the next stop (which I did).
 
Mark, a beautiful, touching story. I love the randomness of such encounters.

Although a different dynamic, at a younger age I used to be fairly intentional in the way I navigated parties … out of my introversion and my social anxiety. As I have gotten older I have learned to embrace the randomness of parties, encountering people and stories I had not anticipated or imagined. I have learned to do the same at sporting events when I go by myself, striking-up conversations with the strangers sitting near me.

Although I do it for a living … I never get tired of hearing people’s stories … the ones behind both the unguarded tears and the spontaneous smiles.

A small technical point: The rubber is on the bottom of Bean boots and the leather is on top.

 
Mark -- I think you did the right thing. You have to go with your gut and every situation is different. Also, remember things are interpreted differently depending on whether they come from a man or woman. Oddly enough, a homeless man was sitting next to me that same ride and just gave me a little smile -- not creepy. Just one human to another -- very sweet. But another day, another situation, who knows how I would've interpreted it? Always remember the Julia Child quote (my favorite) -- "no excuses, never explain" :)
 
My oh my oh my.

Susan Wooldridge writes about "grocery store weeping." I think what you saw was something like that, only on the subway and just one tear. There is something about the anonymity of a public place that frees emotion in some people. (Me.)
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

 
On the other hand…

for the last couple of months I have been recovering from a condition which causes my right eye to tear, with the result that I look like I am crying when I am not. It is an uncomfortable situation, and I'm sure I look a bit dour,.

Hard to judge pople by externals.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#