Sunday, November 24, 2013

 

Sunday Reflection: Pope Francis


As many of you know, I am not Catholic, but I do work at a Catholic law school and many of may faith heroes (such as Susan Stabile) are Catholic.  Like many Protestants,  I find the intellectual tradition and social teaching of Catholicism fascinating, albeit from outside of the denomination.

There has been a remarkable reaction to Pope Francis, almost from the day that he was named to the position.  It is clear by now that he is energetically engaging the world.

Here are some of the things I like about this Pope:

1)  He is challenging people of faith again and again-- he is making Christianity a faith that challenges some broadly accepted conventions in our society.  For example, this week he challenged the monetization of the Olympics.

2)  He seems to be a man of great energy.  This summer, I was in Rome and walked over to the Vatican for an audience.  He was remarkable in the appearance-- the Bruce Springsteen of the clergy.

3)  Even though he is trying to trouble the waters, people seem to genuinely like him.

Am I wrong?  And, like me, do you think all this is good?


Comments:
I love Pope Frankie! <3 <3 <3. And was the grand prize winner of the "Find the Pope in the Pizza Contest." No foolin'. Really an honor,I tell you! You betcha. I just have one QUESTION: who was hittin' the sauce when the cardinals were pickin' this pontiff? Where did all the conservatives go? Because this guy loves everybody and is inclusive. It just ain't Catholic. Go figure! I just keep sayin' to myself: "Self: how can this guy stay pope for very long." And Mark Osler--Susan can't be your hero,cuz she's mine...Finito. End of story.
 
This weekend I heard someone--a Protestant--refer to herself as a "Pope stalker." I told her I already had that title. For those who aren't paying attention or who don't think it matters, it does, simply because he is the leader of an international denomination of a billion people.
 
This Pope had a big impact on the recent vote to enact marriage equality in Illinois. His words, "Who am I to judge?" shifted the debate.
 
In her second sermon at St. Charles Avenue Baptist in N.O. (CBF/Alliance) yesterday, its first female preacher spent 50% or more of her time on Francis and his positive impact on believers of all stripes and non-believers as well. I thought this was interesting enough to post in response to your invitation.

But, is Francis, genuine as he seems to be, is he just the media's clerical "person of interest" du jour? A curiosity by virtue of his stark contrast with predecessors? Nothing much more than the pet of "liberation theology" types? Or something more lasting? We'll see.

Anyone know if there is a line on this in London betting shops?
 
Anonymous 2: It's a fair question. The answer as to his lasting impact lies, I think, within the Catholic Church itself, not with the rest of us.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#