Monday, September 23, 2013

 

The road back home....

Rebecca K:


Living just two miles
away -- fourteen years now -- still
feels foreign to me.

I am of the Loon
and Lady Slipper --
of lakes and farmland,

Spoonbridge and Cherry,
the moonlit Mississippi,
Lake Superior ...

I’m coming back soon.
I never really let go
of Minnesota.

I really love the phrase "of the loon and the lady slipper..."  

And the story in what Jill Scoggins wrote:

Crystal Beach summers
in the seventies. We sleep
to the Gulf waves' whooooosh.

Sand between my toes,
Buffett singing 'smell those shrimp'
on my car's 8-track.

In the beach house, shrimp
ARE boiling. Tex-Joy Crab Boil
spices fill the air.

I sit at water's
edge, waves washing away the
sand under my chair.

Friends shout, 'Come ride the
beach!' I'm the fifth bikini-
clad girl in the car.

We were young, smart, had
fun in the sun, seeing and
being seen by boys.

Comments:
Thanks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#