Sunday, September 08, 2013

 

Sunday Reflection: Lament for a son


Today I am not even going to try to do better than Neil Alan Willard did over at his own blog, talking about a funeral this week.

Here is how his piece begins:


"Yesterday morning I dropped off my oldest son at kindergarten, walking him to his classroom and entrusting him to the care of his teachers. The same day I spoke at the funeral of a ten ­year­ old boy, the oldest son of someone else who had once done that very same thing as a parent. His family had asked me to do that as a person of faith, even though the service itself was non­religious. What we had in common was an understanding that our children are gifts and that we have to let them go. It’s not fair when that happens through an untimely death.  Some people will say thatI should have talked more about my faith and the God thatI believe entered into the muddy waters of our humanity in Jesus. Others will think the opposite, saying thatI stepped out in faith too far.

If I crossed a sacred boundary, it was because I was invited to do so by parents who not only cared about their first­born child but cared about others who loved him too."


But, really, go over and read the whole thing.

Comments:
Beautiful NAW!

Mark thanks for sharing, you really know how to turn on the waterworks before 8am.
 
... and now I'm crying.
 
Neil's address to the family and friends was both instructive and loving. What a gift to all of us.
Thanks Neil.
 
Neil's address to the family and friends was both instructive and loving. What a gift to all of us.
Thanks Neil.
 
Loved Neil's address. Very poignant. Very moving. Speaking to some deep truths
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#