Friday, September 20, 2013

 

Haiku Friday: Home State!


I love Minnesota.  I recently discovered a new set of all-time favorite videos:  The Star-Tribune's Incredibly Mellow Football Analysts.  Bombast is not where it is at here in the North, apparently.

There is a lot more to love, too.  Let's haiku today about your home state-- whatever state you consider that to be.  It might be the one you grew up in, or the one you moved to, or maybe just one that you dream about.

Here is mine:

"Look!" he said, alert.
Fleeting, fast, dark on the snow
Then, gone.  Timber wolf.

Now it is your turn!  Make it 5/7/5 for syllables, and have some fun!

Comments:
Frosty morning sun,
Tiny diamonds glitter,
Just below zero.
 
I miss the accents
I miss the autumn weather
I miss nothing else.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Picked up and drove,
A thousand miles south,
To Wisconsin.

A temperate land
where four seasons come and go.
Bluffs on a river.

But such good memories
of that first home state. Way up
north. The last frontier.

(1000 miles straight south, 3200 miles on the odometer.)
 
Alabama, you
were a stop between Bases,
but never "sweet home."

Reassigned again,
baby Me in tow, we left
Redstone Arsenal.
 
Crystal Beach summers
in the seventies. We sleep
to the Gulf waves' whooooosh.

Sand between my toes,
Buffett singing 'smell those shrimp'
on my car's 8-track.

In the beach house, shrimp
ARE boiling. Tex-Joy Crab Boil
spices fill the air.

I sit at water's
edge, waves washing away the
sand under my chair.

Friends shout, 'Come ride the
beach!' I'm the fifth bikini-
clad girl in the car.

We were young, smart, had
fun in the sun, seeing and
being seen by boys.
 
Driving down the road
Brightleaf tobacco, golden
It's pick'in time
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Living just two miles
away -- fourteen years now -- still
feels foreign to me.

I am of the Loon
and Lady Slipper --
of lakes and farmland,

Spoonbridge and Cherry,
the moonlit Mississippi,
Lake Superior ...

I’m coming back soon.
I never really let go
of Minnesota.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#