Wednesday, August 28, 2013

 

Woodward Avenue



A few years ago, I had a remarkable day in Detroit.

I had two things on my plate:  First, I was to do a little research for Bob Darden, and then I was supposed to have lunch with Judge Avern Cohn.

Bob was working on his book about gospel music and the civil rights movement, and had a particular request.  The week before his "I Have a Dream" speech in DC, Martin Luther King had given a similar speech in Detroit.  Bob wanted to know who the gospel singers were who sang before the speech, and what songs they had sung.

I went down to what remains of the Detroit Public Library downtown, and went to the room where they store microfiche of the black newspapers.  I dug around and found remarkable reports of that day-- the astonishing speech, the crowds, the sense of change.  I made some copies for Bob, and became so lost in the project that I almost forgot about my lunch.

A little late, I raced down to the courthouse and up to Judge Cohn's chambers.  He greeted me warmly, and I told him about my project at the library.

He smiled and laughed, reached behind him and took a framed photo off the shelf.  It was a remarkable photo.  He was there with King, walking down Woodward Avenue, as the crowds followed.

I looked at the picture incredulously as he gathered his things to go.

What history are we witness to?  Are there still those moments?

Comments:
Thank you for sharing these photos and articles about Detroit's place in MLK's history. They have referenced his speech at Cobo Hall this morning (several times)
 
amazing ... just amazing ... this whole week ... and the week 50 years ago ... thanks again for the research, BTW!
bob
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#