Sunday, June 09, 2013

 

Sunday Reflection: Faith and Abortion


This morning, I have a piece in the Waco Tribune Herald (see it here) on abortion.  Specifically, it addresses late term abortions and follows on an earlier CNN piece and a presentation I gave in February at Stanford.

Abortion is such a hard topic, and passions run deep, but people who know me realize that I find that kind of topic hard to avoid.  In part, I think there is an imperative to think hard about the toughest issues, even when people will strongly oppose you (and they will).  Often, it is faith that drives me there-- because Christ stopped an execution and was a capital defendant, I care about the death penalty.  Because he was born poor, I care about poverty (though not enough).  Because he loved all who were despised by society, I try to see the world that way.

Abortion, as rooted as it has become in religion, does not fit in that way.  Jesus did not teach about it.  Still, it is a matter that involves the most vulnerable among us (both the pregnant women and the unborn children), and Jesus always did care about them.

Even at that, I will admit that it isn't religion that shapes my views on this one.  There are two key questions relating to abortion, and neither has a distinctive answer clearly provided by the Protestant faith.  The first question is "can it be right to take an innocent life?"  The second question is "should be consider a child in the womb an innocent life?"

The first question receives the same answer from people of all faiths, or outside of a faith-- no one favors the taking of innocent life.

The second question isn't resolved clearly by Christ's teachings.  Even the idea that God knew us when we were in the womb isn't determinative, given that God knew us before we were conceived, as well, given his omniscience.  If I were part of a faith like Catholicism that has specific church teachings on this, that would be different of course.

While, at least to Anabaptist Osler, Christianity does not resolve the issue politically, our faith does compel us to care about the least among us.  It is an issue that must be engaged, because it is important, and part of the problem with abortion is the toxicity of the debate, which has driven so many people away.  I want to be a part of the solution to that problem.



Comments:
As always, powerful. I think I might say more after I pray about it. Scott Davis
 
My hope is that every pregnancy would take it's natural course but I do not think that is realistic. For example I think of the woman who discovers she is pregnant but do not feel emotionally and financially ready to care for the child.

Some women are fine carrying the child to full term and then giving the child up for adoption. I applaud them for that; but not every woman can do that. I have given birth to two children and I do not think that I would have had the emotional wherewithall to give anyone of them up for adoption.

There are many issues at play from a woman's perspective. Therefore I support a woman's right to choose, particularly in the early stages of the pregnancy.
 
Delacy-- My piece only deals with viable fetuses-- those who could be born alive. How do you feel about that smaller group of cases?
 
Prof,
Regarding viable fetus, one issue that I see is where do we draw the line as to which ones are worth saving versus which ones would be too much of a cost to society. One distinction between gun control, anti-terrorism, and the innocent project compared to the viable fetus is that persons in the former groups are generally already enjoying a good quality of life. Depending on the age of the viable fetus it may or may not enjoy a good quality of life; and the medical costs can be quite high. These are not easy issues to resolve.
 
The podcast RadioLab did an interesting hour recently on the subject of very premature babies called "23 Weeks, 6 Days." It's one couple's story. It raises a lot of questions that I wish would be part of this discussion.
 
The podcast RadioLab recently did an hour-long show called "23 Weeks, 6 Days," about one couple's baby who was born that early. It raises a lot of questions important to this issue that don't often get talked about.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#