Sunday, June 23, 2013

 

Sunday Reflection: Detroit, Dad, and Determination



There are some moments that seem more important than others.

A few weeks ago, I was in Detroit, visiting my parents.  It's hard to go back, in some ways, because every time I go to that city it seems to have slipped a little in some way.  Right now, it is slipping into bankruptcy, which now appears to be inevitable.   Even with each stuttering step backwards, though, there is something good that blooms.  I remember once driving through the East Side with my Mom and Dad, near the social service agency where my mom was working.  There was block after block of... well, nothing, just empty fields where there used to be stores and houses and a thriving community.  We fell silent, because there was nothing to say, until my mom pointed and said "look at the wildflowers!"  She was right, of course.  There was an explosion of color hidden among the ruins.

In the past few years, my dad has gotten into a wonderful routine at a new place, the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe.  It's a bar and restaurant that is a real labor of love for the owner, a longtime jazz fan and supporter.  My dad's role is something like house artist; he paints or photographs the musicians, and those portraits line the walls.

We went out to dinner there when I was back home.  The band was sitting around in a back room, and we popped in on them to say hello.  Really, my dad did; he is gregarious in a way I will never be, and he knew them.  Or maybe he didn't-- it's hard to tell because he has that rare gift of treating strangers like old friends.  They talked about the music, and the place, and art.  When we sat down, it was beneath a great painting my dad did of James Moody.  In the picture, Moody is smiling, warm, content.  There is no darkness in it, no brooding; he looks like someone who can't believe he has such a great job. 

So, now that is who James Moody is to me.  That's what art, and an artist, does.  I see him do it and it all seems like a magic trick, like conjuring a dove out of nothing.  He stares at the canvas, squints, and draws the character out, seemingly by force of will.  Then... there it is, looking back at you, smiling, warm, content.

Not all moments are equal, and I loved that one.

Comments:
"He stares at the canvas, squints, and draws the character out,. . ." Such a 'heavenly' reflection - so heavenly that the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe needs be one of my last stops on my mid to late October book signing tour.

So many friends, towns and cities to visit through Indiana, Kentucky, the Carolinas, north along the coast and west back home. As Chicago will be my last stop, and recalling a recent invitation - "Christine when you are in Detroit, please look us up." from the 'artist' and his wife inspires a slight detour and a desire to accept their generous offer - schedules willing. . .

Is the food as good as the art, ambiance and music?

Mark, thank you for sharing such wonderful moments this morning. . .
 
Mark; Thanks
Christine Charles; The food is really good. You are invited to visit,
but please check with us as we hoping to be away until the muddle of October. John
 
We have our muddle in the middle of October. John
 
John, I'm hungry already!!!

I am hoping to be in western North Carolina (Ashville, Morganton and surrounds) book & friends during the peak of fall color - Ashville NC Fall Foliage Color Leaf Report 2013 is predicting peak colors for Ashvilles & its 2,000 ft elevation from October 18 - 27.

As I would love to visit and my schedule is very flexible, and if you would like, please google christinerenaecharles.com and say hello - and when you know your schedule I will be delighted to modify mine accordingly.

Most of my extended time in Detroit was in the mid 70's while consulting on arena concepts before the building of Joe Louis Arena. . . I look forward to my visit. . .
 
Prof, Nice piece about your parents.
I know the feel. I was fortunate that my parents came to visit for a week earlier this month. We had a great time and were all exhausted by the end of their trip.
 
Lovely from beginning to end. But may I point out to you the three thousand give or take friends you have on Facebook. You have your own Gregoryoshisness. I used to drive my son,Dallas,nuts commenting on all the spectacular flowers along the route...I was,however,driving at the time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#