Saturday, June 15, 2013

 

Math and Science

Here is a strange regret:

At this point in my life, I want to know more about science.  Math and science lost me early in life, largely due to a single math teacher who approached the subject with disdain and emphasized how boring it was.  Teachers send important messages, for good or bad, and I got that message loud and clear.

There is a certain elegance to the sciences; I've noticed that their graphs and diagrams are not the harsh straight lines I imagined, but curves that intersect and move.  Even calculus, dreaded calculus, is largely about the trajectory of one such gentle slope.  Moreover, there is meaning and reason in that slope, answers to real questions.

I like answers, you know.



Comments:
We must of had the same elementary school science teacher.
I liked Biology and Chemistry an Physics at North. Mr. Howard, Muskaluc an Twiddy made classes fun and interesting for the most part. I didn't learn to enjoy math until college when I had some good teachers.

Listen to Science Friday on NPR if you can. We learn new things every week.
 
Check out the hyperbolic paraboloid. Then take some time to realize that the crotch seam (seems to be the technical term) of your pants is a dang good representation of the hyperbolic paraboloid.

The hyperbolic
paraboloid. For Haiku?
Too many sylla

 
"Even calculus, dreaded calculus, is largely about the trajectory of one such gentle slope."

Is not life more often a 'gentle slope' journeyed where cliffs and peaks are less frequently encountered - and 'steeled truths' intersect and move along 'knowledge' and 'wisdoms' trajectory?
 
Science finds things out, it answers questions and explains them based on evidence that is constantly updated...I haven't heard of a scientist offended when new evidence came along. Science is all inclusive that way, it embraces all body of knowledge indiscriminately...and THAT is truly humbling.
 
For me, having studied Chemistry in college and worked as a Chemist for many years; science is predictable and interesting.





 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#