Wednesday, April 17, 2013

 

The best parental advice ever


So, yesterday I got to speak at a fascinating event down in Bloomington, at their arts center.  The topic was art in prisons, and my fellow panelists were Tom Roy, who is Minnesota's Commissioner of Corrections; Richard Amos, an artist who learned to paint while incarcerated; and Bill Murray, a remarkable man who has spent decades teaching art to inmates of Minnesota prisons.  The panel, put together by UST grads Andrea Specht and Mark Haase, was in conjunction with the opening of an exhibit of art by Minnesota prisoners (including the piece above).  The crowd was intriguing-- social justice advocates, sheriffs, former inmates, and probation officers were well represented.

To get ready for this, I wrote my dad, an artist, for advice.

In response, he sent me eight words that were simpler, truer, and more important than anything I could have come up with:  "We all live in prisons.  Art frees us."



Comments:
A bit of wisdom from a wise man...

and a thought I will carry with me today
 
The world we know directs our actions.
Art allows one to create an alternative world that we can both control and judge. Out of this world can come positive thought and healing.

Knowing that you are an artist and not just a criminal, a failure or faltering allows one to see what is possible.

As an artist I allow myself to have crazy thoughts. Today I was thinking of starting an organization called the National Pressure Cookers of America. I fear that without a strong response from the pressure cooker industry, pressure cookers with be taken out of the hands of freedom loving Americans. The purpose of the organization will be to get out the message "the only way to defend ourselves from bombs is to own a bomb". 282 Americans are killed or injured by gun violence EVERY DAY.
We can learn from the gun manufacturers. Dad
 
What a beautiful thought! To be born 'imprisoned' in our mind and called to love the 'Creator' and each other - and through the 'art' of sharing our God given gifts - freedom is experienced.

And often, for many, great courage is required to be expressive - with our words, through our hands, and with our actions - individually and collectively, expression is truly freeing. . .

Thank you, Mr. Osler
 
hoteph
I was born to search out myself, I looked many places until I went to a place I hated myself for going called Stillwater Prison. I detoxed, became empty, and build a new me with all the qualities of great leaders I respected Ghadi, Steven Biko, Maicome X, MartinL. King, The Prophet Muhammed, along with all prophets. I feel a lot better, yet people keep trying to tear me down?
Peace be with us is that so hard?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#