Sunday, April 14, 2013

 

Sunday Reflection: Learning from those who know


Within Christianity, there is a constant struggle between anti-intellectualism and intellectual arrogance.

I've struggled for years to try to find a middle ground, and am starting to feel more comfortable with the balance I have struck.  Because I am someone who is not trained in theology who still wades into theological debates, how to view this question is important.

Here is the answer I have come up with:  I have much to learn from people who are experts in the history of Christianity, the Bible, and the church.  My own knowledge in these areas is very limited; and I need to have an open mind and humble approach when I learn from those who are experts.

However, I give no credence to those who want to tell me what God thinks.  That is a fundamentally different question, and one that is surrounded by mystery because of the very nature of God.

To put it a different way, the experts in language and history are very helpful to me in understanding the way God has revealed himself to me and to our world.  What to make of that revelation, though, is a very personal and independent question, and on that I take my own counsel.

How do others strike this balance?

Comments:
I love learning from experts who put Scripture into context in a way that reveals something about God--like one I heard speak about being a "fisher of people." I'd thought of a fisherman as a lone person, with a single pole and a line. The fishermen of Jesus' day fished with nets; more than one person was required to hold on to different parts of the net and pull up its haul.

You are right. I bristle at are those who speak with rigid certainty about God, what God thinks and whom God loves and doesn't (e.g. Westboro "Church": "God Hates Gays", "God Loves Dead Soldiers"). God is more vast and mysterious than our minds can know.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#