Monday, April 15, 2013

 

Haiku, and the week ahead...



Somehow, I knew that the topic of favorite shirts would take us to those we have lost.  I loved these two... the first is from Laurie Smith:


New sky blue T-shirt
Color takes me to heaven
Where my people live.

And then Renee:

They spread them out on
His office floor. His shirts still
Evoking himself.

I never knew his
Penchant for plaid.But there it
Was: A farmer's fancy.

I smelled long days, deep
Frustration. I gave it a hug.
Worry. Kissed cheek.

Saw him get sick in
An irrigation ditch.His
Ulcers were bitin'.

Rocked smart little boy,
Who worked so damn hard.No time
To do homework.Damn!

Old now,he turned left
Into on-coming traffic--
Oh,Daddy! Good-bye!

But I still have the
White and red and blue plaid--
Knowledge you loved me.

It's a busy, busy week for me.  Today is the Mission Lunch at St. Thomas, and then tomorrow at 4 I am talking about prison and art at this event in Bloomington, on a panel with Tom Roy, Minnesota's Commissioner of Corrections.  On Thursday at 7, I'll be speaking to the Minnesota Peace Project at Christ the Redeemer Church, 5440 Penn in Minneapolis.  Then, on Saturday, I get my wonderful reunion in Chicago with Hulitt Gloer and Randall O'Brien!   If you can come to any of these, please do...


Comments:
Prison and art?! That sounds cool.I'll probably try for Thursday! Glad you liked the haiku. I wondered after I wrote them,if they somehow sounded maudlin. I loved Laurie's haiku!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#