Wednesday, April 03, 2013

 

An Easterish Poem (by Megan Willome)

Last week in Austin I got about 12 seconds to visit with one of my favorite writers, Megan Willome.  For example, she wrote this wonderful profile of another person in that audience, Bob Darden. 

On her own blog, she recently posted this poem, which I feel compelled to re-post as the spirit of Easter lingers:

The March afternoon when Mom gave me the breakable angel

I placed it high on the mantle where its “Hallelujah! He is Risen!”
could always be seen, especially in spring
when the days start cool, then warm into full sun
when the light is longer
when grass is conquered by color. Who can call a bluebonnet delicate
when it grows in the most god-forsaken ditches?

It takes some strength to bloom where no one planted you.

I pick up the angel when — oh, look!

She’s missing a hand.

When did that happen? How did I not notice? Surely I didn’t throw it away?

That’s how fragile motherhood is. You can lose a hand and not know it.




Comments:
Thank you! And it was a wonderful 12 seconds. BTW, my thoughts on the trail are over at my place today.


 
Full article on Bob can be found here: http://woty.com/recipients/robert-darden/
BTW: Megan, Bob and Mark all rock.
-RJ
 
Thanks, Robert! Fixed it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#